When thinking of ways to spruce up your home, your garage door might not seem like an obvious place to start. However, it’s one of the first things we see when coming home and is a key feature in determining your home’s curb appeal.
In this article, we’re going to look at how changing your garage door can dramatically upgrade your home’s appearance. As renovation projects go, a garage door replacement is one of the easiest ways to enhance your home’s looks. It’s also a chance to improve your door’s functionality and maybe add a few accessories. We’ll also give you tips on choosing the right colour for your new door and some other handy tricks.
Why Upgrade My Garage Door?
Your garage door is one of the first things people see when they pull up to your home, so it plays a huge role in your visitors’ first impression. Unfortunately, if your garage door has seen better days, is off-colour, or is out of style, it can draw attention in all the wrong ways. The good news is that upgrading your garage door is one of the quickest and easiest ways to improve the look of your home. In even better news – you don’t have to do it alone. Steel-Line is here to help you every step of the way.
Improve the aesthetics
Whether you’re renovating the whole home or are just looking for a way to add a certain something to your home’s exterior, upgrading your garage door is an effective, quick option. The best garage doors are ones that harmonise with the rest of your house.
Does your home have curb appeal? Curb appeal is a term for describing how attractive your house is to passers-by. When it comes to selling your home, you can imagine how important this is. Having an attractive, well-designed garage door will add value to your home, which is excellent news for anyone looking to put their home on the market. It’s an element of the house a homeowner sees and uses daily, so don’t underestimate the value of a quality garage door.
If you’ve had problems with your current door, why not add some extra features along with your replacement? Maybe you’ve got a manual door but are tired of getting out of the car to open the door? Why not take this chance to install a door opener? It’s a great way to modernise your garage with the latest technology. There is a range of accessories that you can install with your garage door opener, including:
- Photo Electric Beams – This will stop the door from hitting obstructions by sending signals to the opener to reverse or stop the door movement.
- Wireless Key Pad – Great if you forget your keys
- Emergency Key Release – One of those things you hope you won’t need but will be glad it’s there when you do!
- Electronic Key Switch – Great for when you lose your remote, this provides an alternative means of opening your garage.
- Automatic Garage Door Deadbolt SD by Steel-Line– An automatic garage locking system.
Good lighting for your garage has the benefit of looking good and serving a practical purpose. It’s a great way to highlight the new details of your renovated door. Then there are the safety benefits. Not only great for when you come home late at night, but sensor lights have also been proven to be a deterrent to unwanted guests.
Things to consider when buying a new garage door
Find a door that suits your home
When creating home designs, you want all your choices to add up to a fantastic result. For example, a garage door that looks amazing on one house may look entirely out of place on a different design. If your home is very modern and trendy, then a custom door that fits your home’s cutting-edge design will be perfect. On a more traditional, brick house, though, an overly flashy garage door will likely look out of place. Great garage doors strike the balance of looking good without detracting from your other facade features.
Try out our online visualiser to test what different colours and styles can look like on your home: Steel-Line Garage Doors Visualiser – Design your own door
The right colour choice can make all the difference in making your door look stylish. Steel-Line has a wide range of colours for you to choose from and can offer guidance in which colours suit your home and which should be avoided. Some of the most popular colour options include:
- White: One of the most popular colours due to its crisp look and its ability to fit with many home designs. Dirt will show up, though, so you’ll need to keep it clean.
- Dark grey, deep blue or black: Black has always been a popular colour choice, with deep blue and dark grey becoming common alternatives.
- Soft grey: A great neutral colour that makes your garage look nice without drawing attention away from the house itself
- Taupe or beige: A good option for brick houses. If you choose the right shade to match your home, Taupe or beige can really compliment your house’s overall look.
- Walnut brown: A warmer colour that, when executed right, will give your garage door a luxurious, wooden look.
What else can I do to make my garage door more attractive?
Don’t forget about the surroundings
To really take your garage door’s curb appeal to the next level, make sure to take care of the surroundings. Looking after your driveway and landscaping will go hand in hand with your new garage door.
Have you ever noticed how even the nicest sports car loses a certain something if it’s spluttering and not working correctly? The same is true of your garage door. Nothing will take the shine off your beautiful new door quite like it jamming halfway! Taking good care of your garage door will also increase its lifespan, with some doors lasting over 30 years!
Regular maintenance and services from Steel-Line will keep your door running like a dream.
Some extra ideas
- Windows are a great way to add character to your garage door and let in natural light. They also add value to your house.
- An accented trim can add visual appeal to your garage door.
- Look on online and at display homes for inspiration. This can give you an idea of what appeals to you (and what doesn’t!)
You’ll be surprised how much your garage door can enhance the attractiveness of your house. Steel-Line has a wide range to choose from and the expertise to guide your every step of the way. Steel-Line has branches across Australia, including Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, and many other locations.
Whether you need some advice, installation, or maybe both, we’re here to help! Please call us today on 1300 767 900 or contact us here.