So, you’ve decided it’s time to buy a new garage door and need to choose the right one for you. The only thing is, you’ve typed ”garage door” into google and have found out there are so many types and styles. So, how are you ever going to choose the right door to suit your home and style?
In this article, we give you some tips on picking the perfect garage door for your home. From the type of door to choose to the colour and material to use, Steel-Line has got your back every step of the way.
Garage Door Type
An excellent place to start is deciding what type of garage door you’d like installed. There are three main types of garage doors:
- Roller Doors – easy to identify by how it rolls up like a carpet at the top of the entrance. A popular choice for manual garage doors.
- Sectional Doors – more modern than the classic roller door. They can be easily distinguished by the slates that reveal themselves as the door opens or closes. The most popular type of garage door. Great for achieving the maximum height and width clearance of your garage opening. While these can be operated manually, sectional doors are at their best when connected to a door opener.
- Counterweight/Tilt – as the name suggests, these garage doors open at a tilt. These are most common in custom garage door designs as they can be specifically designed to handle the weight of certain materials—also a great choice for smaller garages that are limited in space.
Not sure what type of garage door is best for you? Contact us today for professional advice on what garage doors best suit your home—worried about installation? Steel-Line has branches in every major city within Australia. No matter where you are, you can purchase new garage doors in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and have Steel Line’s team install them for you.
There is a wide range of materials to choose from for your garage door. Each has its advantages, and the best material for you will depend on your budget, location and style. Here are some of the materials commonly used for garage doors:
• Steel: The most cost-effective and common material used for garage doors. Steel is sturdy and has exceptional weather-resistant qualities. Used on sectional and roller doors.
• Aluminium: Despite being a lightweight material our aluminium doors have impressive durability and strength making them well suited to bearing the tough conditions of Australian weather. Aluminium is used on our custom collection and Specialty Doors.
• Wood composite: Another low-maintenance option is wood composite. This material has a natural wood look grain, and it won’t require as much paint as a wood door would. Mainly used for Specialty Doors.
• Wood: Wood is a very popular material, despite requiring ongoing maintenance. It’s a material that offers a lot of variety and comes in a wide range of colours. Mainly used for Specialty Doors.
Consider Your Environment
It’s important to take into consideration your surroundings. For areas prone to extreme weather, such as cyclones, we recommend buying one of Steel-Lines Wind Rated Garage Doors. These doors are designed to withstand the harshest conditions, meaning you’ll be less likely to sustain damage next time the weather turns nasty.
Australian weather is known for its extreme temperatures, and your garage won’t be immune to this without the proper precautions. Insulating your garage door can make a huge difference to your energy bills, especially over time.
When it comes to the style of your new garage door, you want something that will match your house, suit its architectural design, and reflect the character of your home. For example, for a traditional home, you should consider either a door that blends into the home design or a custom wood door that draws attention without clashing. Steel doors offer a classic garage door look, come in a variety of colours and have a good reputation for longevity.
Contemporary or Modern home designs are bolder than traditional designs. Therefore, your garage door should be willing to make a statement while remaining in harmony with the rest of the building. Get creative and be willing to consider some unique designs.
For those looking for something unique and specific, Steel-Line offers custom designs. Each door is made to order so it is the perfect fit. Steel-Line offers free measure and quote, so it’s easy to get an expert opinion on what’s best for you.
Keep in mind that custom doors will take longer to make, sometimes up to 6-9 weeks, depending on the design and materials required. They also tend to cost more, but it will be worth it if it’s perfect for your home.
When it comes to choosing the colour of your garage door, consider the rest of your home. A general rule of thumb is that consistency is key! Having a garage door that matches the rest of your home design is the safest bet. If you’re unsure, incorporating shades of your existing colour scheme is a foolproof way to achieve a pleasing look. Another tip: try not to mix cool colours with warm colours as this contrast will usually look out of place. Steel-Line has a wide range of colours to choose from and can guide you through the process.
Does my front door and garage door have to match?
Not necessarily. While it’s a popular choice, not everyone chooses to have their front door and garage door match. What’s more important is that both work with the overall look of your home. If your garage door doesn’t go with anything on your facade, that’s when you may have a problem.
If you are looking to buy a new garage door or have some questions, please call us today on 1300 767 900 or contact us here.