Converting a carport into a garage is a doable DIY project, according to a recent article on hipages.com.au.
You already have the roof and cement slab, so half the expense and half the work is already done. All you need to do is:
- Fill in the spaces between the posts with studs for the cladding
- Build a frame for the garage door
- Install the cladding
- Install the garage door
- Have an electrician wire the garage.
There are plenty of options for your new garage, including:
- Insulation – roof and wall insulation will keep it cooler in summer and warmer in winter, but you will need to install a ceiling and interior cladding first.
- Window – consider at least one window to provide natural light and ventilation.
- Paint – you can paint the exterior to match your home, or you can choose Colorbond or Zincalume cladding in a complementary colour.
- Electric door opener – you can choose from several styles of automatic garage doors, but whatever you choose will need to be properly mounted. If you are at all unsure about this, it would be wise to have your supplier install it for you.