Your garage door gets a lot of use, so it’s important to keep it in good working order. An article on diynetwork.com provided some basic tips for maintaining a garage door properly.
- As part of a regular maintenance program, test all moving parts of the door to ensure none are broken or bent.
- Regularly lubricate springs, hinges, rollers, rails and axles with a light household oil and check axles for tightness.
- Every now and then, wash the inside and outside of the door with a soft cloth and diluted household detergent to protect the finish. Just like a car, you can also apply a layer of wax to protect against dirt and moisture.
- Check the sensitivity of the garage door opener and if necessary, adjust it, using your owner’s manual as a guide.
- If your garage door is made of wood, it will require more maintenance, with an occasional coat of paint inside and out and caulking applied to cracks or gaps.
- Regularly check the weather seal strip along the bottom of the door and replace if it appears cracked or broken.
- Check for rust on all metal parts and apply a suitable preparation to any spots you find.