Your garage door gets a lot of use, so it’s important to keep it in good working order. Here are some basic tips for maintaining a garage door properly.
- As part of a regular maintenance program, test all moving parts of the garage door to ensure none are broken or bent.
- Regularly lubricate springs, hinges, rollers, rails and axles with a 30 W or other light household oil and check axles for tightness. Do not lubricate tracks.
- Every now and then, wash the inside and outside of the door with a soft cloth and diluted household detergent to protect the finish. Just like a car, you can also apply a layer of wax to protect against dirt and moisture.
- Check the sensitivity of the garage door opener and if necessary, adjust it, using your owner’s manual as a guide.
- If your garage door is made of wood, it will require more maintenance, with an occasional coat of paint inside and out and caulking applied to cracks or gaps. Do not paint tracks or locks.
- Regularly check the weather seal strip along the bottom of the door and replace if it appears cracked or broken.
- Check for rust on all metal parts and apply a suitable preparation to any spots you find.
IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE:
Your garage door is usually the largest moving piece of equipment installed and attached to the home or building. As such, its weight can approach or exceed 150kg. ADJUSTING SPRING TENSION is a DANGEROUS PROCEDURE and may cause physical injury if improperly performed, and should be performed ONLY by qualified door service personnel.BOOK A GARAGE DOOR SERVICE