Safety, strength and visual appeal are the three main considerations when it comes to choosing a commercial door for most businesses. You want something sturdy while being visually appealing, but you also want a door that’s easy to operate and low on maintenance.
For shopfronts that need shutters with visibility and good airflow and that are simple to use, Steel-Line has a commercial shutter to suit your needs.
Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of Steel-Line’s two most popular options for retail and commercial applications — aluminium roller shutters and SC folding doors — so you can decide which product best suits your business.
What are Aluminium Roller Shutters?
Aluminium roller shutters are constructed from interlocking aluminium slats and an incorporated bottom rail. They come with full or part perforation. Steel-Line manufactures four main types of aluminium roller shutters — a full aluminium style, slat style, clear-view option, or mini shutter suitable for smaller applications.
Benefits of Aluminium Roller Shutters
Aluminium roller shutters are a popular choice for retail, as they are strong and durable, provide reliable operation and require minimal maintenance. They are lightweight, easy to install and can be motorised. As well as being versatile, they are available in several styles to suit your business aesthetic.
Aluminium roller shutters can be used on doorways up to 4 metres high and 10 metres wide in a single span, or they can be used on smaller areas such as bars and fire hose reel cupboards.
- Can be motorised for easy opening.
- Available in a variety of styles, from clear-view to aluminium slats.
- Can fit extra large or very small openings.
- May not offer effective sound insulation.
- Can dent and scratch more easily than steel.
- Can be perceived as less upscale than other materials.
Where can Aluminium Roller Shutters be used?
Aluminium roller doors are a low-cost solution for businesses for their physical premises. Whether they are used at the front of a retail store or internally, they suit a wide range of clients, including:
- Retail and commercial premises within shopping centres and at street level, such as convenience stores and boutiques
- Restaurants, cafes and fast-food outlets
- Warehouses and industrial facilities
- Storage facilities
- Sporting and health clubs
- Banks and financial institutions
- Garages and auto service centres.
What are SC Folding Doors?
SC Folding Doors are commercial-grade bi-fold doors built from aluminium segments with joining hinges and rollers. The panels slide back and stack into a pocket. They are available in either a single or bi-parting opening and feature curved tracks for enhanced flexibility.
Benefits of SC Folding Doors
SC Folding Doors are an increasingly popular option for retail stores, especially in shopping centres, as they allow customers to see merchandise inside the store, even after closing. Giving a contemporary look and feel to any retail store, they are available in a range of sizes and with various types of infill panels.
The door is easily opened by hand and travels on rollers suspended from an overhead track, meaning no trip hazard for customers and easier cleaning by staff.
- Offers a modern look to shopfronts.
- Provides ventilation to your retail store.
- No bottom track for easier cleaning.
- Space is required for panels to fold and stack.
- Multiple moving parts can mean more maintenance over time.
- May not be as durable as an aluminium roller shutter.
Where can SC Folding Doors be used?
Providing a barrier with visual appeal, Steel-Line’s SC folding doors are an ideal solution for a wide range of businesses, including:
- Retail shopfronts and commercial premises, especially within shopping centres
- Medical and health centres
- Freestanding kiosks
- Crowd control barriers at sporting facilities
- Cinemas, theatres and arcades
- Aged care facilities
- Over countertops in bars and restaurants and in hospitality settings.
Steel-Line: Australia’s trusted commercial door supplier
With a focus on design, ease of use, service and quality, Steel-Line retail shutters meet the requirements of every type of business and industry.
Steel-Line does more than just supply garage doors and accessories. We manufacture and provide installation Australia-wide — from Perth to Brisbane, Cairns down to Hobart — of high-quality commercial doors. Call our friendly team today on 1300 767 900 for a free quote on any of our products.
What other types of business doors does Steel-Line offer?
As well as aluminium roller shutters and SC folding doors, Steel-Line manufactures, supplies and installs steel roller shutters, aluminium roller grilles, industrial roller doors and counterweight doors.
Our steel roller shutters provide extra strength and flexibility, while our aluminium roller grilles can be used indoors or out, letting air and light flow into your commercial space. We offer a huge range of colour options with our industrial roller doors, and our counterweight doors make a bold statement without the ongoing maintenance costs of some other types of commercial garage doors.
So, if you can’t find the solution for your business with either of the above options, take a look at the other options for commercial doors or speak to our friendly staff for assistance in selecting the one that’s right for your business.