When it comes to best using the government renovation grant, most people may think about kitchen renovation, bathroom renovation, laundry renovation and all the costs associate with those areas. However, did you know that garage door replacements claim one of the top spots for the highest return on investment among house renovation nationwide in the 2017 Cost vs. Value Report? According to the report, both recent and long-term key trends indicate that “curb appeal” projects generated a higher return on investment than improvements done inside the home. On average, the report data indicates homeowners across the nation who completed a garage door replacement in 2016 earned up to an 85 percent return on investment. In select markets, that number reached as high as 115 percent.
Here are some home renovation ideas that will actually add value and can potentially earn you thousands of dollars as capital gains when you decide to sell your home:
Convert a Carport into a Garage
Carports are an extremely common form of automobile shelter. They are inexpensive to build since they have no walls, but they are not nearly as useful as a garage that can be locked and used to store bicycles, sporting goods, lawn equipment, and other household goods. Therefore, you may consider converting your carport to a full-featured garage. As you already have the roof and cement slab, half the expense and half the work are already done. All you need to do is to
- Fill in the spaces between the posts with studs for the cladding
- Build a frame for the garage door
- Install the cladding
- Install the garage door
Convert Two Garage Doors Into One
If you find yourself wishing you had more space or wanting to update your garage, considering converting your split garage door into a double door. A two-car garage with one door can be beneficial for several reasons, including:
- Additional entry space: The pillar that separates twin garage doors can restrict your garage entry space. If your vehicle is larger than average or you have inexperienced drivers in the home, this may make parking challenges. Installing a double door eliminates the need for a pillar and creates a larger garage door opening.
- Updated appearance: Switching to a double door can give the front of your garage an updated appearance and make it appear larger. If your garage is attached to the front of your house, a double door can tie it into the house’s overall appearance. Whether you’re looking to sell your house or not, a new double door will increase your home’s value.
- Simple operation: Instead of juggling two separate remotes for single garage doors, double doors allow you to operate the entire system with one remote. This simplicity helps prevent your cars from getting cluttered with door remotes and streamlines the entry and exit process.
Replace the Fence and Entryway
A fence can be used to define the space of your property. If done properly, effective use of secure fencing can not only attractively frame the yard nevertheless make that appear larger. If you want to achieve a fresh and welcoming look form the outside, you should make sure the look of your fence match your property. Its style, height, materials, and colour are all important. Keeping the fence in theme with the house’s style, paint can add a modern touch to a tired brick look. As a general rule, the fence should be painted using the same colours of your pro to provide a unified look.
Install A Fenceline Garage Door
Most carports sit right on the fence line of the property so why not make it visually appealing as well as useful and install a new garage door? If you live in the city or suburban area with a fence around your house, you may consider making efficient use of space by installing a garage door in a freestanding application or attaching the garage door to an existing structure.
Replace the Old Roller Doors with Sectional Garage Doors with Windows
Windows allow natural light to enter your home resulting in a reduced need turn on lights in or near the garage during the day which cuts down on your electricity usage and power bill and reduces greenhouse emissions. The added benefit of ventilated windows is that they allow for the natural circulation of air inside your garage and home.
Windows also enhance the look of your garage door and home, improving street appeal which adds value to your property.
Irrespective of the window type selected, it is recommended that they are only installed in the top panel of your garage door for security and privacy reasons.
Browse our stunning projects and be inspired!
Request a Free Measure & Quote
Please fill in the contact form below. We will contact you as soon as possible.