The best way to keep your home and garage safe over the festive season and ensure peace of mind is to follow these guidelines and to get a pre-holiday garage door service to ensure your garage door is in full working order.
Here are some garage door security tips on how to prevent break and enters:
- Don’t leave the garage door remote in your vehicle. If an offender breaks into your car and steals the remote he has a way into your home.
- Invest in a keychain remote opener. Stop using that remote you clip to your visor and get a keychain remote that you can leave on your keys.
- Secure your garage door emergency release. It’s easy to throw some zip-ties on your emergency release and still retain it’s intended function.
- Keep it locked. Put a deadbolt on the door between your house and garage.
- Make sure the door from your garage into your house is as secure as your front door. Ensure you have a strong, sturdy door made out of solid-core wood or reinforced steel.
- Don’t leave your garage door open – how many garages do you see slightly open to let the air flow through?
- Install a wide-angle peephole in the door between your house and your garage. You’ll at least be able to see what’s going on if you hear a strange noise rather than opening the door to find out.
- Frost or cover your garage windows.
- Padlock the throw latch on your garage door when you’re out of town. If you don’t have a manual lock on your garage door, you can use a c-clamp to tightened down on each side of the door track to effectively “lock” down the door.
- Don’t neglect maintenance on the mechanical parts of your roll-up garage door and keep an eye out for corrosion. Don’t forget the door from your garage to your house; check the frame, locks, hinges and any replaceable items.
Call us today on 1300 767 900 or and book a FREE measure and quote.